THIS is brilliant. Thanks Nerdist.
THIS is brilliant. Thanks Nerdist.
The first pre-production picture from Star Wars VII has been released. And it’s got R2-D2. And it’s pretty cool.
According to Variety…
R2-D2 ages like fine wine–if fine wine didn’t age at all.
Bad Robot has tweeted the first behind-the-scenes photo of the upcoming “Star Wars: Episode VII,” which features, along with director J.J. Abrams and producer and LucasFilm president Kathleen Kennedy, the beloved droid of the “Star Wars” franchise. Given how hush-hush Bad Robot has been about the production, R2-D2′s possible return is some of the biggest information granted on the sequel, other than some low-key casting notices.
Will the force be strong with you? Fangirlish has to have some readers that fit these descriptions:
RACHEL: Young woman to play 17-18 Years old. Must be beautiful, smart and athletic. Open to all ethnicities (including bi- and multi-racial).
Was quite young when she lost her parents. With no other family, she was forced to maker her way alone in a tough, dangerous town. Now 17, she has become street smart and strong. She is able to take care of herself using humor and guts to get by.
Always a survivor, never a victim, she remains hopeful that she can move away from this harsh existence to a better life. She is always thinking of what she can do to move ahead.
THOMAS: Young man to play 19-23 years old. Must be handsome, smart and athletic. Must be over 18.
Has grown up without a father’s influence. Without the model of being a man, he doesn’t have the strongest sense of himself. Despite this, he is smart, capable and shows courage when it is needed. He can appreciate the absurdities in life and understands you can’t take life too seriously.
Also, the NERDIST writer, Dan Casey, wants your unofficial videos because apparently the entertainment value of them will be phenomenal. Do not let us down. Here’s the information for where to send those videos.
That being said, we’d love to see your auditions, too! Or feel free to record some really weird ones and send them our way. Who knows — you could wind up on Nerdist News as the clip of the week! Post it in the comments below or use the hashtag #NerdistVII and tweet us your video! Or tweet it at me directly. I’ll be on a plane later today for fourteen hours, so Lord knows I’ll need some entertainment.
The BBC has learned about a casting call for – STAR WARS! IN LONDON!
Actors rejoice, cause now is your time to be part of history.
Lucasfilm declined to comment to the BBC but it is likely the characters have been given non sci-fi names and descriptions in the announcement in an effort to disguise the auditions are for Star Wars: Episode VII.
The broad nature of the characters is almost the same as in descriptions leaked online earlier in the year when the overall casting process began.
While it is unprecedented for lead parts in a franchise of this size to hold open auditions in this way, Star Wars has in the past given major roles to little known actors and actresses through the traditional casting process, dating back to the original trilogy when the then unknown Mark Hamill won the role of Luke Skywalker.
Star Wars has a release date. I am going to say this – I may not be the biggest Star Wars fan, but I laughed really hard when this came out, cause my friend called my hyperventilating. I am all “It’s Star Wars” and she’s all you don’t understand. According to TIME…
Jedi, smugglers and wookies of the world, rejoice — Star Wars: Episode VII finally has an official release date: December 18, 2015, just in time for the holiday season.
“We’re very excited to share the official 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII, where it will not only anchor the popular holiday filmgoing season but also ensure our extraordinary filmmaking team has the time needed to deliver a sensational picture,” said Alan Horn, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, in a statement posted Thursday on StarWars.com.
Here’s a quick recap of all we missed. I am posting videos as I find them. So far Fangirlish has Andrew Scott and Benedict Cumberbatch from Sherlock, their performances are up. Keep checking back as I find more and post them. Such an amazing get-together of theatrical genius.
Rehearsed over 5 weeks, it featured more than 100 actors and 25 productions including Arcadia, Hamlet, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, A Little Night Music, The Absence of War, Pravda, The Habit of Art, Bedroom Farce, No Man’s Land, London Road, The National Health, Guys and Dolls, The History Boys, Jerry Springer – The Opera, My Fair Lady and more performed by a cast of over 100 including Roger Allam, Simon Russell Beale, Benedict Cumberbatch, Frances de la Tour, Judi Dench, Christopher Eccleston, Ralph Fiennes, Michael Gambon, Derek Jacobi, Alex Jennings, Rory Kinnear, Adrian Lester, Anna Maxwell Martin, Helen Mirren, Andrew Scott, Maggie Smith and Penelope Wilton.
Well, at least you know what you might be doing next Halloween. Movie star, erstwhile Jedi, and generally hunky Scottish actor Ewan McGregor is set to make his Broadway debut next year in a new production of Tom Stoppard’s Tony-winning play The Real Thing.
The role will be the Broadway debut for McGregor, who flexed his theater chops at London’s Donmar Warehouse in Othello and Guys and Dolls, and will star in the upcoming screen adaptation of another Tony-winning Best Play, August: Osage County. (Another interesting, albeit grossly unrelated, McGregor theater fact: The actor is technically being represented on Broadway right now with the stage musical adaptation of his 2003 Tim Burton collab Big Fish.)
It’s also the second major casting coup for Roundabout this season. The theater company — known for reviving beloved and little-known plays and musicals — landed Michelle Williams for its upcoming revival of Cabaret in the spring.
“Star Wars Rebels” executive producer Dave Filoni introduced the first new character from the upcoming animated series in a video appearance at New York Comic Con on Saturday, and he’s quite the fearsome-looking foe. But the image of the villain isn’t the only new artwork available from the show that is set to pick up the “Star Wars” animated mantle from “Star Wars: The Clone Wars,” which aired on Cartoon Network but was canceled earlier this year.
Hero Complex chatted with Filoni before NYCC to learn more about what fans should expect from “Star Wars Rebels,” which will premiere on Disney Channel in the fall of 2014 before airing regularly on Disney XD. And he also shared some “Clone Wars” details too.
Hero Complex: Fans were really disappointed by the cancellation of “Clone Wars.” Will there be any wrapping up of storylines in “Rebels” or are you wiping the story slate clean?
Dave Filoni: The good news is there are several episodes of “Clone Wars” the fans have yet to see. I’ve finalized the remaining episodes and I think they will really please the diehard “Clone Wars” fans, especially the story arc with Master Yoda — that one is critical to the bigger picture. “Star Wars Rebels” will be its own series with its own characters. That’s not to say characters from other “Star Wars” media couldn’t make an appearance in the series, but “Rebels” will be distinctive for its own new characters and relationships.
HC: You’ve talked about how closely George Lucas was involved in the creative process on “Clone Wars.” How has that changed now that he’s sold Lucasfilm to Disney?
DF: George is a one-of-a-kind creator; I did my best over the years I worked with him to digest as much knowledge about how to make a “Star Wars” film as I possibly could. Each episode of “The Clone Wars” was like a test, and I think as we went along my crew and I got better at passing the test. Now there is a group of us that work on things; we all know that one person could never replace George; rather we have a creative council that discusses the ways of the Force.